Tuesday 3 March 2009

An introduction: Hello


Hiya. You may or may not know but I'm Matt and I record music for the band April Maybe May. I'm going to use this to update you with the progress of the album which, as the band name implies, will be out very soon.

So, here's the current situation - we need 10 songs for the record, and how many are finished? Well, I would say none, but there has to be a point where you say 'enough'.

So, here's a possible tracklisting:

side 1
  1. back to me
  2. home
  3. for the weekend
  4. lost
  5. paper cuts
side 2

  1. seasalt
  2. sugar & mess
  3. bed
  4. the girl next door
  5. tracing trees
there are other songs on the go which may replace any of the above, or there may be more than 10 songs.

Today I worked on 'Home' and 'Paper Cuts'. Home is a country-influenced song but with a very commercial / catchy tune, quite poppy. Wes Martin of The Low Countries played banjo on this, and I recorded him with stereo mics. A first for me, I've never recorded banjo before. It's got a lovely tone, quite warm but it still cuts through in the mix. Wes did a great job despite some latency issues.

Paper Cuts is a strange one. It started off as a Cardigans-style rocker, but today's introduction of an M-Tron choir and a scanner-vibrato guitar part has transformed it into an otherwordly, underwater psychadelic strangeness. Brilliant. Rosie (Hillman, AMM singer) isn't sure yet, but I'll persuade her.

Next up, gear list. ttfn, Matt.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your kind comments, Lord Chewitt of Barrow. I shall now follow you (in a non-stalkerish way).

    PS- Didn't you have that same comp in Donny in 1998? ;-)

    ReplyDelete